Vecima Introduces Entra DOCSIS 3.1 Platform
Distributed Access Solution provides Multi-Gigabit Data Speeds
BOSTON, MA – (May 16, 2016) – Vecima Networks Inc. (TSX:VCM), an experienced designer and manufacturer of innovative technology in the broadband equipment market, is pleased to introduce Entra, its new DOCSIS 3.1 Distributed Access Architecture (DAA) platform.
Vecima’s Entra is a next generation cable broadband access solution that consists of a virtual controller software platform and Ethernet-centric remote access nodes supporting all distributed architectures. Entra supports DOCSIS 3.1 hybrid fiber coax (HFC), passive optical network (PON) and Ethernet services in a unified platform, commencing with DOCSIS 3.1 Remote MAC-PHY. The platform fully supports legacy digital video, including out-of-band, providing an optimal path for the evolution of networks to full DOCSIS 3.1 using distributed access architecture.
Vecima’s approach to the distributed access network enables operators to offer multi-gigabit data rates over cable to subscribers without the excessive costs of running fiber to the home. Entra overcomes the challenges of traditional architectures by delivering highly attractive power and cost per bit while maximizing network capacity and minimizing space in already constrained hub sites.
Vecima’s DAA platform consists of a server-based virtual controller, hub-based legacy video devices and strand mounted distributed access nodes. It is compatible with all distributed access architectures including DOCSIS Remote MAC-PHY/Remote PHY, PON and Ethernet.
“Vecima has a long and successful track record as a DOCSIS solutions supplier. We’ve drawn upon this broad experience to develop a compelling solution for HFC networks,” said Sumit Kumar, Vecima Networks’ President and CEO. “Entra enables operators to support higher data rates while substantially lowering total cost of ownership.” He adds, “These savings arise from adopting a network architecture that minimizes fiber deployment requirements in the most costly area of the network which is from the node to the home. In addition, the platform exploits the economic benefits of digital fiber links by moving processing deep into the network.”
The Entra next generation DAA solution features:
- support for full spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 to 1.2 GHz, allowing cable operators to deliver maximum throughput of up to 10 Gbps Downstream and 1.6 Gbps Upstream per service group
- an architecture which eliminates analog fiber links in favour of digital fiber links which are more robust, require less maintenance and consume less power
- a Virtual Controller that reduces operational cost by unifying node management though a single set of interfaces
- a virtual machine (OpenStack, VMware) implementation of the Controller allowing for deployment anywhere in the network and seamless integration with existing back-office tools
- a 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch incorporated into each Access Node that:
- reduces fiber required in the network by feeding multiple aggregation points with a single fiber
- minimizes capital costs by reducing the number of network switches required
- allows for provisioning of direct Ethernet and PON services at the node
- significant hub space and power reductions since no CCAP core element is required
- no need for network time synchronization equipment between hub and Access Node
- support for legacy digital video including all out-of-band formats allowing network upgrades to be implemented only if/when required
To learn more about Vecima’s Entra platform and view a live demo, please visit Booth #506 at INTX in Boston, MA or find additional product details at www.vecima.com/entra.
About Vecima Networks
Vecima Networks Inc. (TSX:VCM) designs, manufactures and sells products that enable broadband access to cable, wireless and telephony networks. Vecima’s hardware products incorporate original embedded software to meet the complex requirements of next-generation, high-speed digital networks. Service providers use Vecima’s solutions to deliver services to a converging worldwide broadband market, including what are commonly known as “triple play” (voice, video and data) and “quadruple play” (voice, video, data and wireless) services. Vecima’s solutions allow service providers to rapidly and cost-effectively bridge the final network segment that connects the system directly to end users, commonly referred to as “the last mile”, by overcoming the bottleneck resulting from insufficient carrying capacity in legacy, last mile infrastructures. Vecima’s products are directed at two principal markets: Converged Wired Solutions and Broadband Wireless. More information is available at our website at www.vecima.com.
Back to all Press Releases