Vecima Displays Entra DOCSIS 3.1 Distributed Access Platform at ANGA COM
COLOGNE, Germany – (June 7, 2016) – Vecima Networks Inc. (TSX:VCM), an experienced designer and manufacturer of innovative technology in the broadband equipment market, is pleased to display Entra, its new DOCSIS 3.1 Distributed Access Architecture (DAA) platform, at ANGA COM today.
Vecima’s Entra is a next generation access solution that consists of virtual controller software and Ethernet-centric remote access nodes supporting all distributed architectures. Entra supports DOCSIS 3.1 hybrid fiber coax (HFC), passive optical network (PON) and Ethernet services in a unified platform, commencing with DOCSIS 3.1 Remote MAC-PHY. The platform fully supports legacy digital video, including out-of-band, to provide an optimal path to incrementally upgrade networks to DOCSIS 3.1.
This approach to the network enables operators to offer multi-gigabit data rates over cable to subscribers without the excessive costs of running fiber to the home. Entra overcomes the challenges of traditional architectures by delivering highly attractive power and cost per bit while maximizing network capacity and minimizing space in already constrained hub sites.
Vecima’s DAA platform consists of a server based virtual controller and strand mounted distributed access nodes. It is compatible with all distributed access architectures.
“Vecima has a long and successful track record as a DOCSIS solutions supplier. It is this experience that we have drawn upon to develop a compelling HFC network upgrade solution,” said Sumit Kumar, Vecima Networks’ President and CEO, “which enables operators to support higher data rates with a lowest total cost of ownership.” He adds, “These savings are due to a network architecture that minimizes fiber deployment requirements and exploits the economic benefits of digital fiber links with distributed processing at the edge of the network.”
After significant research and careful consideration, Vecima has determined that our Next Generation Access Solution offers the most capability with the lowest total cost of ownership for the following reasons:
- Our solution supports full spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 to 1.2 GHz allowing cable operators to utilize maximum throughput capability of up to 10 Gbps Downstream and up to 1.6 Gbps Upstream
- Our solution employs digital fiber links instead of analog fiber links, which are more robust, require less maintenance and consume less power
- Our solution employs a virtual controller that reduces operational cost by unifying node management though a single element
- Our virtual controller for unified management of Access Nodes is implemented as virtual machine (OpenStack, VMware) which allows for flexible deployment anywhere in the network and seamless integration with existing back-office tools
- Our virtual controller allows rapid dynamic provisioning of services and facilitates transition towards network function virtualization (NFV) and software defined network (SDN)
- Our Access Node incorporate a 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch which:
- reduces the fiber required in the network as a single fiber feed can be utilized for multiple aggregation points
- reduces capital costs by reducing the number of network switches required
- allows for provisioning of direct Ethernet and PON services at the node
- Hub space and power are significantly reduced because there is no converged cable access platform (CCAP) core element required
- Timing synchronization is not required in the network between hub and Access Node, removing the need for network time synchronization equipment
- Supports legacy digital video including all out-of-band formats allowing network upgrades to be implemented only if/when required
To learn more about Vecima’s Entra platform, please visit Booth# T41, Hall 10.1 at ANGA COM in Cologne, Germany or find additional product details at www.vecima.com/entra.
About Vecima Networks
Vecima Networks Inc. (TSX:VCM) designs, manufactures and sells products that enable broadband access to cable, wireless and telephony networks. Vecima’s hardware products incorporate original embedded software to meet the complex requirements of next-generation, high-speed digital networks. Service providers use Vecima’s solutions to deliver services to a converging worldwide broadband market, including what are commonly known as “triple play” (voice, video and data) and “quadruple play” (voice, video, data and wireless) services. Vecima’s solutions allow service providers to rapidly and cost-effectively bridge the final network segment that connects the system directly to end users, commonly referred to as “the last mile”, by overcoming the bottleneck resulting from insufficient carrying capacity in legacy, last mile infrastructures. Vecima’s products are directed at two principal markets: Converged Wired Solutions and Broadband Wireless. The Company has also developed and continues to focus on developing products to address emerging markets such as Voice over Internet Protocol, fiber to the home and IP video. More information is available at our website at www.vecima.com.
Back to all Press Releases